As an introvert, you may like to stay to yourself, you might become socially exhausted after events, or you have a small circle of friends.
There is a common misconception that introverts are shy, loner people who cannot excel in social situations. Let alone as a thriving entrepreneur.
I’m here to tell you that being an introvert, doesn’t mean you can’t be a dynamic salesperson.
But, why do more people think Extroverted people are the best salespeople?
The first impression of sales is that you must be outspoken, charismatic, and have a ton of friends. Yes, these things can be helpful in the sales process. However, they are not the only attributes that deem a closed sale or a dynamic salesperson.
Here are 7 reasons why introverts can make great salespeople:
1) You Are Observant
This is one of the many amazing skillsets of a salesperson. Only 7% of your communication is the words you say. The other 93% of your communication is body language. Introverts tend to be more observant of body language, change of tone and other non-verbal cues. When you’re in a meeting with a potential client, this not only comes in handy but can help you understand your client better. Ultimately, leading to a better chance of closing a deal.
2) You Have a Plan
While extroverts have a tendency to create a plan after they jump out of a plane. On the other hand, Introverts typically create a concrete plan and structure which is very helpful in the sales process. It creates consistency and provides security to their prospective clients/customers. The best salespeople has a proven system they use every single time to close sales.
3) Listening is Your Middle Name
Selling is just as much listening as it is actually selling. As a salesperson, you need to understand the pain points, needs, and desires of your client. Introverts tend to excel at listening and being adaptable to the needs of their customers. You can use this to your advantage in any part of the sales process.
4) You Value Deep Relationships
Introverts are not fond of having a list of acquaintances. Instead, they prefer to have deep relationships with other people. When you’re working a deal with a potential client, a genuine and deep relationship will take you further. Sales are all about trust and relationships. As an introvert, you have a leg up because you tend to create these relationships anyway.
5) You Are a Realist
Extroverts have a tendency to lean into emotion during the sales process. However, introverts will lean into the reality of outcomes/products which provides more concrete disclaimers prior to a customer’s purchase. This approach minimizes refunds/dissatisfied customers.
6) You are More Reserved
Extroverts tend to have big personalities and are not afraid to present themselves. While introverts are more conservative and quiet. New studies are showing that the outgoing, charming salesperson stereotype is actually starting to turn potential customers off. In fact, some people put their guard up when they approached by this type of salesperson. This shift in how people react to salespeople can be an advantage for introverts. Your reserved personality may be exactly what helps you relate to your potential client.
7) You Prefer to Not Talk at All
Back in the day, extroverts were often seen as the most qualified salespeople because of cold-calling. To engage in cold-calling, you need to be energetic and have refined social skills. Today, most decision-makers are making it harder to get them on a phone call. We rely more on nurturing and communicating through email than ever before. This is where introverts can measure up even when they are not as social or talkative as extroverts.
How to Sell as an Introvert
To be effective, be sure to do your research and be prepared. This will boost your confidence and allow you to spend less time thinking of what to say. Instead, you can simply converse without any doubt.
Allow time for yourself to recharge. Networking events or back to back sales calls can be physically draining for introverts. Introverts tire easily from social activities which can make it difficult to interact. Make space for alone time in your schedule or try other traditional energy methods like coffee.
Lastly, don’t use being an introvert as an excuse to not try. There are many introverts who excel in business and entrepreneurship. The key is to understand yourself and develop your skills.
As a whole, we tend to overlook the value that introverts bring to the table. Being introverted does not disqualify you from being an exceptional salesperson. In fact, you can be an equal asset to your extroverted counterparts if you hone your skills and embrace yourself as an introvert.